Questions I will ask:
- Is social media good for your professional life/career?
- What effect does social media have on your mental/physical health?
- Palette cleanser/segment – Is our hatred of the weatherman justified?
- Do you think social media will replace our real lives and in what ways?
- Do you think social media challenges or reinforces your world view?
- palette cleanser/segment – who would win in a fight DJT or JRB?
- Are worried the lack of privacy that social media brings, will become, or has become a problem?
- palette cleanser/segment – alternative news
- Final question: Do you think social media is more of a threat or an asset?
- Social media helps the elderly feel less isolated.
- An average person/businessman can get in front of a big audience
- Social media can help you meet your health goals
- Social media strengthens relationships.
- New government regulations on privacy are created every year.
- University of Exeter – found that Those trained on using a computer experienced heightened feelings of self-competence, and participated more in social activity. They had improved cognitive capacity and showed a better sense of personal identity. The same can be said about those with terminal illnesses reaching out on social media for support.
- Dave Danhi – Started “the grilled cheese truck” after competing in a grilled cheese competition and realizing how big of a grilled cheese community there was. Started a twitter account and became famous for grilled cheese.
- Translational Behavioral medicine – Science daily found that dieters who share their weight loss plans and progress on social media lose more weight than dieters who stay quiet about their goals
- University of Texas study – A study of 900 college students and recent grads found that 47 percent of participants said communicating with friends who live in a different state or country was very important to them. Twenty-eight percent said communicating on Facebook with those in the same city was very important. And 35 percent said communicating with family on Facebook was very important to them.
- In 2015 the director of national intelligence released a report that states they can longer monitor telephone communication in bulk. It does not go into what their definition of bulk is.
- Emily Ratajkowski has 1.3 million followers and uses her platform to enact the change she wants to see in the world. This change includes advocating for women, animal, and Robin Thicke’s rights.
There are no groups currently fighting the anti-social media movement. They probably would not know how to start.
- #ChicagoGirl – profiles a young woman, Ala’a Basatneh, that uses her social media platforms to leak footage of the Assad regime and their attacks on Syria. Deletes Facebook accounts after they’ve been compromised by the government. Organizes protests. Publishes videos online and spreads them before the government can interfere. Smuggles Bluetooth spy cameras into Syria. Kind of a badass.
- #140characters – Follows four individuals that have found personal success using twitter. One found love, one started a business, one started a charity in the name of her deceased daughter, and the last became an extra in a Justin Bieber video. All of them are a lot cooler than you.
- Social media decreases our attention span.
- increases loss of sleep, depression, stress, and suicide rates.
- causes stress and reduced empathy that is harmful to relationships.
- increases risk of the spreading of false information and propaganda.
- Harmful to our children’s learning and socializing development.
- The government is watching you.
- Common sense Media – 44% of teens agree at least “somewhat” that using social media often distracts them from people they’re with in person, and 34% agree either strongly or somewhat that using social media takes away from time they could be spending with people face-to-face
- American medical association – A systematic review and meta-analysis (of 20 studies) showed strong, consistent evidence of an association between bedtime access to or use of devices and reduced sleep quantity and quality, as well as increased daytime sleepiness
- Journal of personality and social psychology – People overestimate their ability to correctly interpret sarcasm, humor, or sincerity over text communication, and this means people tend to believe they can communicate over e-mail more effectively than they actually can
- Bessi and Ferrara (2016) – 18.5% of total tweets from the top 50k active users on Twitter came from bots, when sampled during three weeks of the 2016 presidential election
- American Medical association – Children who are cyberbullied are 3x more likely to engage in suicidal ideation than non-bullied children, while those who experience “traditional” bullying are 2x more likely to engage in suicidal ideation.
- Under the Department of the director of national intelligences’ transparency report for 2017, FISA Probable Cause Authorities are as follows. The number of orders—and the number of targets under those orders—for the use of FISA authorities that require probable cause determinations by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), under Titles I and III, and Section 703 and 704, of FISA. The FISC. These basically state that they have the right to surveil anyone in concordance with the minimization procedure. This is defined as such. (1) specific procedures, which shall be adopted by the Attorney General, that are reasonably designed in light of the purpose and technique of the particular surveillance, to minimize the acquisition and retention, and prohibit the dissemination, of non-publicly available information concerning unconsenting United States persons consistent with the need of the United States to obtain, produce, and disseminate foreign intelligence information;
(2) procedures that require that non-publicly available information, which is not foreign intelligence information shall not be disseminated in a manner that identifies any United States person, without such person’s consent, unless such person’s identity is necessary to understand foreign intelligence information or assess its importance;
(3) notwithstanding paragraphs (1) and (2), procedures that allow for the retention and dissemination of information that is evidence of a crime which has been, is being, or is about to be committed and that is to be retained or disseminated for law enforcement purposes; and
(4) notwithstanding paragraphs (1), (2), and (3), with respect to any electronic surveillance approved pursuant to section 102(a) [50 USCS § 1802(a)], procedures that require that no contents of any communication to which a United States person is a party shall be disclosed, disseminated, or used for any purpose or retained for longer than 72 hours unless a court order under section 105 [50 USCS § 1805] is obtained or unless the Attorney General determines that the information indicates a threat of death or serious bodily harm to any person. This is all provided that the attorney general (currently William Barr who served under G.H.W. bush as well) does not sign an emergency order that overrides all of these rules. I’m sure he only uses his power for good though, right?
*Dr. Cal Newport – Author of digital minimalism. Believes that social media is harmful to our society. Believes it lowers attention span. Causes anxiety in our youth based on doctors on college campuses. Says he had the idea for Facebook before mark Zuckerberg. Not bitter at all.
*nick Wignall – believes that digital stuff can be an impediment and distraction from what matters most in life. And that The Digital Minimalist movement is a direct response to this threat. Digital minimalism has three main tenants (yes, he used the word tenants). 1. Technology use should be intentional not habitual. Technology is dangerous and addictive, and should only be used for intentional, not habitual, uses. 2. Technology is for making stuff not feeling better. People who use technology in order to feel better about themselves are relying on short-term avoidance of emotional difficulty that only leads to more consistent suffering in the long-term. 3. Technology should never come before people. The most important tenant of digital minimalism. How many moments have you missed staring into that sweet mind-numbing goodness that is a computer screen?
- The center for humane technology – believes that technology is hijacking our minds and our society. It is eroding the pillars of our community. Big social media companies are profiting on our information. The whole system is vulnerable to manipulation, man.
- The Anti-social media, social media campaign – They have one webpage, and on it one sentence. That is where their next event will be held.
- InRealLife – Tells a story of how companies like google and Facebook run miniaturized tests on society in order to market and sell to us better.
- The Matrix – Thomas A. Anderson is a man living two lives. By day he is an average computer programmer and by night a hacker known as Neo. Neo has always questioned his reality, but the truth is far beyond his imagination. Neo finds himself targeted by the police when he is contacted by Morpheus, a legendary computer hacker branded a terrorist by the government. Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines that live off of the humans’ body heat and electrochemical energy and who imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix. As a rebel against the machines, Neo must return to the Matrix and confront the agents: super-powerful computer programs devoted to snuffing out Neo and the entire human rebellion.
Outro: Summarize Joel and milos points. I think that both sides have………………Valid Arguments. The winner of tonights argument had this to say. “I updated my grilling app, iGrill, today and it now has Facebook integration that lets you see what other people are grilling right now around the world. Awesome. Mark Zuckerberg ladies and gentlemen. Good job you real life super villain. I’d like to thank you all for joining us, and thanks milo and Joel for your thoughts on the subject. We here valid arguments value opinions and think everyone should have one. So if you’re the type of person who knows your voice matters and would like us to help you amplify that voice, then get at us on social media @argumentsvalid on twitter and valid arguments on Facebook or if you think social media is just as evil as people who would pick star trek over star wars, then please feel free to call and leave us a voicemail, the number is 309-340-9431. Please join us next week for more arguments. We hope to disagree with you soon
Good people on both sides
Republicans are destroying the country
Russia coming for that ass
President for life
Breaking us apart from the inside, like taco bell. Facebooks fault.
Paris hilton is our god
Kardashians are working for the government.